[BioRuby] May I contribute a 23andMe flatfile parser?

Russell Whitaker russell.whitaker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:34:06 UTC 2010

Hi all / はじめまして、みんなさん。。。

[Please let me know if my Japanese is mojibake / 文字化け]

I'm a former professional software engineer who left Google 3 years
ago to pursue a degree in biochemistry from Columbia University (which
I did in fact complete, 4 months ago). After having programmed other languages
over a nearly 20 year career - one in Japan, by the way - I switched from
Python to Ruby/Rails at Google, and have committed to continue with that
as primary platform (except for statistical applications, for which I'm doing R
when needed).

I've been researching best platforms for going general bioinformatics
work, and of course discovered BioRuby, which is why I'm here on this list.

A few hours of digging have convinced me that a 23andMe SNP/genotype
flatfile parser does not yet exist in BioRuby. However, I may be wrong, so I'll
ask: does one exist? No mention of "23andMe" exists in the list archives.

Would anyone object to my writing one? I've been familiarizing myself with
the development process for this group, e.g.:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioruby/2010-June/001319.html

I already have a GitHub account, of course.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to contributing to this
project.

よろしくおねがいたします、
ラッセル

--