[BioRuby] Fw: [Open-bio-l] Fwd: [Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code is *ON* for OBF projects!

Naohisa GOTO ngoto at gen-info.osaka-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 23 15:21:33 UTC 2010

Hi Kazuhiro,

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:20:52 +0900
Kazuhiro Hayashi <k.hayashi.info at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> My name is Kazuhiro Hayashi.
> I'm a 1st-year master's degree student at Depertment of Computational
> Biology, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, the University of
> Tokyo.
>
> The reason why I sent this mail is to ask you some questions about
> Google Summer of Code 2010.
>
> I'm interested in Google Summer of Code 2010, Especially, the projects
> about BioRuby.
> At the moment, I will apply "Ruby 1.9.2 support of BioRuby and I'd
> like to contribute BioRuby community through Google Summer of Code
> 2010.
> So, I have three questions.
> Could you answer them?
>
> One is about differences between Ruby 1.8.x and 1.9.2
> OBF's GSoC page says that the participant needs to know Ruby 1.9.2.
> Until now, I've used only Ruby 1.8.7 and never used Ruby 1.9.2.
> Honestly, I hardly know differences between Ruby 1.8.x and Ruby 1.9.2.
> Can I join this project?

Yes.
You will need to study about them during the project, but not now.
I've modified the "needed skills" in the project wiki page
to clarify the point.

> Another is how many programs in BioRuby run on Ruby 1.9.2.
> Could you tell me weather you have already known it or not (and how to know it)?

I don't know much. Some programs worked, but some didn't.

> The other is implementation of the unit tests.
> Does this mean that the participant needs to implement unit tests for
> all codes which haven't had them yet.

Yes or no, depends on planning. One idea is to implement
almost all with rough coding, and to improve them after that.
I also think that classes and modules that strongly depend
on external program or web service can be skipped.