[BioRuby] Phylogenetic Trees or Hierarchical Clustering

Naohisa GOTO ngoto at gen-info.osaka-u.ac.jp
Thu Mar 11 14:59:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I always use phylogenetic tree construction software such as
PHYLIP and MEGA4, and I don't know much about the pure Ruby
solutions. Below are found by using Google search.

There are some pure Ruby implementations of clustering algorithms,
though I haven't used them.

AI4R (Artificial Intelligence for Ruby):
http://ai4r.rubyforge.org/

clusterer: http://rubyforge.org/projects/clusterer/

I found a phylogenetic tree visualization implementation written
in JRuby, and I found it can also work with normal Ruby 1.8.7.

Egan A et al. (2008)
IDEA: Interactive Display for Evolutionary Analyses.
BMC Bioinformatics 2008, 9:524
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9/524
http://ideanalyses.sourceforge.net/

Thanks,