[BioRuby] [GSoC][NeXML and RDF API] Code Review.

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Fri Jun 25 06:49:11 UTC 2010

> I have used libxml2 streaming api, without actually streaming the document
> to the user. The cursor does not move through the document when you iterate
> over elements( phyloxml does that ). I am parsing the document at one go; at
> the start, and storing the objects in memory. Should we want to switch to
> streaming, using libxml's streaming API from start should make it easier.
>
> Yes it is libxml2 these days. The site states that it works with ruby 1.8. I
> am myself working with 1.8.7. I will have to test the compatibility with
> ruby 1.9.

OK, glad to see that libxml is a standard package these days -
though it has some horrific error handling. At least it is fast.

How much time would it cost you to stream the data - and what does it
mean with regard to changing the API? I guess, in general, NeXML
files won't be that large, so it may not be that important (Rutger)?