[BioRuby] IRC conference archives

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 11:15:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:

> Below the first IRC conference in a long time. We are keeping the
> #bioruby room open on freenode. Every Thursday 2pm (GMT) we'll try to
> be online.
>
> This Thursday we can look at developing new plugins. For anyone
> interested in some Ruby programming over the holidays.
>
> Pj.
>
> IRC log started Sun Dec 19 13:51:39 2010
> <ChristianZmasek> good "morning"...
> <tktym> Additionally, I'd like to discuss about the inclusion of workflows (with data) as plugins.
> <ChristianZmasek> workflows sounds interesting...
> <pjotrp> how do you see that?
> <tktym> there are a lot of methods described in journal articles, and probably some of them can be coded in (Bio)Ruby
> <tktym> if the procedure can be distributed as a plugin,
> <tktym> (with example data)
> <tktym> user can try the workflow with ease and with his own data as well

Hi all,

I just read over the IRC log, and one of the topics that was
discussed was workflows (in the form of BioRuby plugins).

Looking at workflows a different way, perhaps there are
some existing BioRuby scripts which might work really well
as in workflow tool in a framework like Taverna or Galaxy?

http://www.taverna.org.uk/
http://usegalaxy.org/

We're using Galaxy where I work, and it comes with tool
wrappers covering Python, Perl, and R scripts, plus compiled
code. I'm sure one could call (Bio)Ruby scripts too.

Peter