[BioRuby] Bringing the fun back to programming! (The first BioRuby IRC conference on Dec 19th)

Raoul Bonnal bonnalraoul at ingm.it
Tue Dec 14 00:21:39 UTC 2010

Hi Chris,

Il giorno 13/dic/2010, alle ore 22.48, Chris Fields ha scritto:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Pjotr Prins wrote:
>
> At some point the choice of a language will not matter as much, as long as it is implemented in a VM (something Perl 5 cannot claim at the moment, but Perl 6 does with the Parrot VM).
The real problem was  ruby 1.8, something in the middle between 1.9 and the previous release. One year ago JRuby wasn't complain with the 1.9 standard.
The Idea to use the JVM is to reuse other libraries, at that point all the Bio* that can run in it could share the same library, it's not too bad.  Ideally we could develop a common set of libraries but probably is too complex.
There is also another problem, maintaining the current installations, how?
Do you know which are the performances using different JVM ?

Pjotr: do you mean an IO access  in a map/reduce style/way?

--
Ra