[BioRuby] BioRuby paper is just published

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 08:24:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Toshiaki Katayama <ktym at hgc.jp> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> After 10 years of development, the BioRuby paper is finally published in the
> Bioinformatics journal. The article is open access, so please take a look.
>
> BioRuby: Bioinformatics software for the Ruby programming language
> Naohisa Goto, Pjotr Prins, Mitsuteru Nakao, Raoul Bonnal, Jan Aerts
> and Toshiaki Katayama
> Bioinformatics 2010; doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btq475
>
> Abstract:
> http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/btq475
>
> PDF:
> http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/btq475
>
> For the future publication, please cite this paper when you use the BioRuby
> library for your work. :-)
>
> We sincerely thank all contributors (http://bioruby.open-bio.org/wiki/Contributors)
> so far. We are very sorry that we could not include all of your names in the
> manuscript due to the space limitation.
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Pjotr Prins who has been lead this happen
> by hosting regular Skype meetings and worked very hard for drafting and editing
> the manuscript, as a joint first author.
>
> I also thank DBCLS (Database Center for Life Science, Japan) for giving us
> several chances to meet each other by hosting the DBCLS BioHackathons
> (http://hackathon3.dbcls.jp http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20727200).
> Draft of the bioruby paper was emerged during the hackathons, and that's
> why we have only 6 authors in this publication. I ask your kind understanding
> on this.
>
> The BioRuby project was originally started at the KEGG laboratory in Kyoto
> University and some resources are now hosted by Human Genome Center in
> Tokyo University, so I'd like to express my appreciation to these two institutes
> as well. Additionally, I also thank IPA (Information-technology Promotion
> Agency Japan) for 1 year grant in 2005 which greatly extended our
> motivation for further developments in coming years.
>
> Best Regards,
> Toshiaki Katayama

Congratulation Katayama-san, Pjotr, and the rest of the team. This is
excellent news.

Peter @ Biopython

P.S. Do either of you have an account on the OBF news server?
Posting an announcement there (even just this email) would be great:
http://news.open-bio.org/news/category/obf-projects/bioruby/
Please email me (or OBF support) if you need help with access.