[BioRuby] Fwd: Re: BioSQL development

Julian Nordt ju at ncoffee.de
Sun Aug 22 15:17:44 UTC 2010

One more thing in regard to the mapping between BioSQL and GFF3:

I tried to follow the mapping given by the biosql wiki and blue collar
bioinformatics. The mapping is acceptable in the sense that you can store
*most* or even all (?) of the features that GFF3 offers. The further I got
though within the development the unclearer things got me, especially in
terms of the "attribute" column.

If you compare the table at the biosql wiki (for the attribute column)
with the one at blue collar bioinformatics, one will notice that the there
are keywords that occour in one, but not at the other table. That not
mentioning the todos on the wiki regarding the "standard" columns. I
havn't looked in that detail though through blue collars code, maybe the
answer is given there.

However I wrote a small library that managed to store most - but not all
the given information of the GFF3-files - correctly to BioSQL. There were
some points where the mapping has been unclear to me and where I stored
the given information where I thought it would fit best.

Considering that I chose a standard db schema to avoid any ambiguously and
the fact that I experienced performance issues with MYSQL+Rails (not
related to BioSQL) at the project made it enough for me to switch to CHADO
backed by POSTGRES.

The documentation regarding CHADO is in my opinion richer and most
importantly one can follow gmod_bulk_load_gff3.pl for the mapping
relatively easy, since it is well documented.

I would very much welcome other opinions on the topic, especially in
combination with the use of web applications.

-- Julian