[BioRuby] development updates?

Anurag Priyam anurag08priyam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 20:00:06 UTC 2010

> I am trying to make you take a step back and think. Please don't be evasive.
> You do not know what happens offline on that list, nor do you know for any
> other mailing list or community - it's by the definition of the word
> "off-line" that you don't know. Just because you see a lot happening on-list
> doesn't mean that a lot can't also happen off-list.
>
> What you encountered is that the nature of things discussed online and those
> discussed offline is not identical between, say, the bioruby list and the
> git list. But that's not a surprise - pick any two lists or communities and
> you will find a difference. That is because a community's practices are
> defined by the people who populate them, and different communities are
> populated by different people.
>

> Those differences are not bad; rather, I suggest you try to appreciate them.
> What should ultimately count is the success of the community in fostering
> coherence, and in creating useful software.

Right. I understand your point and I am not being critical of the
differences. I have tried to explain my point below.

> If you feel that Bioruby is falling short on those counts, and that shifting
> the balance of things discussed onlist and offlist in a certain direction
> would help rectify that, then I think most if not everyone here would be
> curious to hear your specific thoughts. But just pointing to another
> community and saying it is different isn't very productive - it's just
> pointing out the expected.

I do not feel that BioRuby is falling short on any counts.

The jist of my mail was only this :

"Hey, guys on this list they do this X. I think that X is cool.
*Maybe* you guys will like it too. *Maybe* we could do it too."

I was just being enthusiastic about that X, and wanted to *share* it.
However things have gone totally awry. Maybe the way I essayed it down
was wrong, or maybe I failed to realize that I should be a little more
formal here. Or, maybe just that I should grow up a little more. I
tend to be overly enthusiastic about things. In any case, it is my
mistake and will you all please forgive me about it?

--
Anurag Priyam,
3rd Year Undergraduate,