[BioRuby] GSoC question (regarding SDI algorithm)

Christian M Zmasek czmasek at burnham.org
Thu Apr 8 21:39:44 UTC 2010

Hi, Monika:

Remember, the deadline is tomorrow!

> Hello
>
> I think I should first explicitly ask this question: I am not
> experienced in Ruby, but I believe I can improve myself enough during
> the Community Bonding period. Does it make me ineligible to apply?

No. Part of the goals for GSoC is for students to "learn new things".

> If not, please continue with reading: ;)
>

>     Basically you also need to write a short CV, similar to a job
>     application.
>
> Where should I later submit this CV? Should include only education /
> work experience, or also something like a cover letter?

It will all be part of you application (i.e. one document).
You need to write an "abstract" which can can be considered a cover letter.

> And a question about the algorithm itself - would it need to be
> accomodated in some application, or just be a separate BioRuby library?

It would be part of BioRuby.

>     Develop unit tests
>
> I hope this is not stupid question, but where is it possible to get the
> following information about a gene tree: which nodes should receive
> which annotations about 'duplication' and 'specialization', for the
> duplication inference to be considered correct? I mean, as a
> non-biologist I do not know what should be the correct output of the
> algorithm...

You should read (or at least have a look at) some of the references
listed here:
http://evogsoc2010.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/references-for-gene-duplications-proposal/

You can also have a look at my PhD thesis, which explains some of the
background, especially chapter 1.3.2.1.
See:
ftp://selab.janelia.org/pub/publications/Zmasek02/Zmasek02-phdthesis.pdf

Furthermore, I can easily provide you with test gene trees which have
duplications assigned. This is not a big issue.