[BioRuby] [Wg-phyloinformatics] Update on phyloXML support for BioRubyproject

Diana Jaunzeikare rozziite at gmail.com
Thu May 21 02:29:40 UTC 2009

Both nexml and phyloxml are xml formats for holding information about
phylogenetic trees. Both seem to be fairly new. What's the difference? Isn't
there an ultimate goal to have one universal format for phylogenetic data
exchnage? If yes, which of these two formats would be better suitable for
it, or do they serve different purposes (as nexml is based on NEXUS format)?

My other question is about Perl phylogenetics related packages (warning: Iam
not familiar at all with BioPerl classes). Bio::TreeIO and Bio::Phylo::IO
for me seem to be doing the same task. What are the main differences between
them? If there are no fundamental differences, why there are two classes
which do the same thing.

Diana