[BioRuby] Ruby & R

Joel Dudley jdudley at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 13 15:09:01 UTC 2009

Ra,

I work mainly with expression data, and what I do is use Ruby for as
much as I can, then use RSRuby to call the key R functions I need. You
are right, it is not comfortable to work in R at all, but it's hard to
deny the wealth of packages it has for working with expression and
genotyping data. Of course it is up to people like you and me to add
this kind of functionality to BioRuby if we can manage it.
Unfortunately I can't seem to find the time.

-- Joel

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:57 AM, Raoul JP Bonnal wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I have always worked on sequences and bioruby gave me everything I
> need to work with that kind of data.
> Now I moved to Illumina gene expression and rtpcr data, I think
> there is a lack of support in this kind of data. Isn't it ?
> I found that usually this data are handled by R, but which are the
> pro/cons of this lang ? And as "lang/syntax"... it's not very
> confortable I think :-(
>
> Pjotr is providing support for biolib to Ruby.
>
> Could Ruby do it better ?
>
> I mean, Python/Ruby/Perl seems that depends on the end user, they
> can do the same things but for R ?
>
> --
> Ra

I now only check mail at the following times:
- 8 a.m., Noon, 5 p.m. Mon-Fri
- 8 a.m. Sat-Sun
If this is a true emergency, or you require an
immediate response from me, please contact
me via my mobile phone: (408) 464-8258