[BioRuby] FASTQ in BioRuby?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Aug 27 10:46:17 UTC 2009

Hello BioRuby team,

I am one of the Biopython developers, and together with Peter Rice
(EMBOSS) and Chris Fields (BioPerl) we have been coordinating
how these Open Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF) projects will
interpret the FASTQ file format used in next generation sequencing.

This includes standardising our naming conventions for the original
Sanger FASTQ variant, and the later Solexa/early Illumina, and
recent Illumina 1.3+ variants. We have also put together a set of
test files, including reference conversions between the different
FASTQ variants.

We would be delighted to get BioRuby involved. I tried to contact
Naohisa Goto about this directly last month, but perhaps my email
did not arrive. If BioRuby is working on (or planning to work on)
FASTQ support, please could the developers concerned sign up
to the OBF joint mailing list where we have been discussing this: