[BioRuby] [PhyloSoC] Project plan for phyloXML integration with BioRuby

Christian M Zmasek czmasek at burnham.org
Thu Apr 2 23:01:13 UTC 2009

Diane:

Thank you for your interest in this project!

Indeed, the hour is late, and your proposal still needs significant work
in order to be competitive.

I think you already got some comments from Hilmar (I am at work and I
cannot use IRC).

Beside those, I'd like to suggest:

1. please make sure that all the studying is done before the coding
begins (May 23) (i.e. your "week 1" should be during the "community
bonding period").
2. You do not need to develop classes for objects already present in
BioRuby (such as phylogenetic trees). Actually, the less new classes you
have to introduce to better -- reuse!
3. I am happy to see that you include unit test early on, this is good!
You have to make extensive use of BioRuby's test suite.
4. In general, your weekly goals are not described in enough detail. It
might be a good idea to discuss goals, deliverables, anticipated
problems/difficulties (and possible solutions) for each week.
5. Documentation is very important(!)
6. Do you plan to maintain the code after the summer?

Since the abstract is due April 3rd and cannot be changed after that it
is best to concentrate on the abstract first, though.
(The project plan can still be tweaked after April 3rd, I understand.)

In the abstract you have to make clear that you understand the _biology_
behind the project. Why does phyloXML have the elements it has? Why is
it useful? Might have a look at: http://www.phyloxml.org and
http://www.tdwg.org/proceedings/article/view/437.

Can you show that you understand what evolutionary trees are? Where and
why are they used?
Are they only important in 'tree of life' applications (e.g. see:
http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/omi.2006.10.231)
What is "phylogenomics", what is "comparative genomics"?
You could also go to [http://monochrome-effect.net/publications.html]
and have a quick look at some of the papers there, most are related to
the issues at hand, and some show real world applications of
phylogenetic trees.

How might participating in this project help your career? What do plan
to learn? Why are you a good candidate for this?

Hope this helps some,

CZ