[BioRuby] RFC Unit testing large files

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Fri Sep 19 14:05:14 UTC 2008

For microarray unit tests I have some 30Mb of files. Probably not
very nice to put those in the source tree. The options are:

1. Host them in the source tree - huge downloads for everyone.

2. Fetch them on demand by the unit tests - takes long time the first
time and where do I put them? In a cache directory?

3. Have the unit tests in a separate tree - special purpose testing

4. No unit tests for these

I have the same unit tests in the biolib tree - but that is a hassle
too. For BioRuby I propose (3). Maybe I ought to solely use the biolib
tree for these specific unit tests and have a 'stub' in the Bioruby
tree for them.

This problem will come back - and keep in mind the free github space
is 'only' 100 Mb.