[BioRuby] bioruby-testing-central on github

Michael Barton mail at michaelbarton.me.uk
Wed Jun 18 13:25:33 UTC 2008

I'd like to raise a point about forking vs cloning. In your email
Pjotr you recommend that new users clone the bioruby repository. Which
is the way git is be used. However since the project is on Github, a
project can be forked instead of cloned. Here is the Github blurb on
this

By forking a project instead of ((cloning, creating a new GitHub repo,
and pushing to it)), you allow us to create a link between your fork
and the original. This link helps us keep you informed of changes to
the original codebase and make it trivial for you to notify the
originator of changes that you have made and would like have reviewed.

I think an additional unmentioned advantage is that a fork only
contains the differences between yours and an original. Rather than
the complete cloned repo, so this would save space too.

Mike