[BioRuby] BioRuby on github + lighthouse

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Thu Jun 12 09:02:48 UTC 2008

Hi All,

In view of my recent bibtex commit fiasco - which I thought an
improvement, but probably was a regression as N. pointed out and
rolled back - I favour moving the sources to a non-centralized
repository. This will allow individual development where the main
maintainers can cherry-pick individual patches for inclusion in the
stable and development trees.

Toshiaki, both Jan and I want to ask you to check out this technology
and take the lead by moving a 'blessed' branch into github. The
alternative is that I do the same thing - both cases will allow you
to continue as before, but some development will be on git branches.

Technology does not solve problems - like the problem of lack general
action in the source tree - but at least git will allow people to have
a sense of freedom. And it is up to the central maintainers what to
include and what not. Much like the role Linus plays in kernel
development.

As ever, with respect,