[BioRuby] Web Service BioHackathon

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Tue Oct 23 05:00:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

This would be the 1st announcement of the Web Service BioHackahton
which I'm planning to hold in next January or February in Japan.

Trevor, thank you for your excellent summary. I'd like to start
from responding to your sentences.

> Web Services get replaced with REST

Partially correct, but biological complex object can't be passed
to each other with REST, and the format of the returned value of
REST service varies and needs to be parsed.

On the other hand, to develop bioinformatics workflow with the
distributed databases and services, we need standardized objects
which can be used as inputs and outputs for each service.

To solve this situation, I hope to organize a community to make
a standard set of the biological objects based on the web service.

> So I suppose the question I have is what do we want BioRuby to be?

Currently, even the Bio::Sequence object is not compatible among
BioPerl, BioJava, BioPython, and BioRuby. The sequence object
obtained from BioRuby based web service, can't easily be
utilized in the workflow written in BioPython, I suppose.

So, we need refactoring of the all Bio* libraries. Based on the
standardized set of SOAP-based objects, every Bio* projects
implement them in their library in a unified way. The classes
are not just a container of the biological objects, but they
also shares a compatible set of methods (to reduce the number of
web service calls, standardize the workflow among languages etc.).

  Bio::WebService::Sequence  ?
  Bio::WebService::Reference ?
  Bio::WebService::Pathway   ?
  Bio::WebService::Alignment ?
   :
  ???

Now I'm engaged in the Integrated Life Science Database project
in Japan and hope to organize a Web Service BioHackathon.
I hope to invide developers from the web services providers,
Bio* libraries, BioMOBY, Taverna and myGrid projects etc.

As the budget is limited, I can invite only a limited number of
participants, but if you are interested in the above project,
please let me know.

Regards,
Toshiaki Katayama