[BioRuby] transcription factor binding site identification

Toshiaki Katayama ktym at hgc.jp
Sun Nov 11 15:12:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

If you want to search with TRANSFAC motifs, you can use the tfscan command in the EMBOSS package.

Otherwise, you may need to define your own algorithm to search your motif.
If your motif is in profile format, you need to develop profile search method.
If your motif is simple and can be converted to regexp, the task would be relatively easy.

  # to find all occurrences
  results = seq.scan(regexp)

  # to find positions of match
  pos = 0
  while pos = seq.index(regexp, pos + 1)
    puts pos
  end

You may also interested in the Bio::Sequence#window_search method.

Thanks,
Toshiaki