[BioRuby] Ensembl API

jan aerts (RI) jan.aerts at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu May 10 09:09:50 UTC 2007

I actually just started working on this API last night (in between some
deadlines I got to catch), so haven't gotten so far as to think about
caching. I'm basically working through the perl API tutorial
(http://www.ensembl.org/info/software/core/core_tutorial.html) and try
to implement all those examples. (At the moment, I'm at the bit that
says "Break chromosomal slices into smaller 100k component slices"...)

Some hurdles that I see coming are the caching and projecting features
from one coord system to another. We'll see what happens when we get
there.

As for a public place: I would _very_ much appreciate help with the API,
although

QUESTION FOR BIORUBY COMMUNITY AND DEVELOPERS:
* Do you think it would be best to create a sourceforge project for
this, or should I add it directly into bioruby (e.g. Bio::Api::Ensembl)?
I suppose the second option would be best, but the stuff I have is
probably not polished enough yet... and *far* from complete.
* Secondly: if a new release is coming: would it be best to wait untill
_after_ that release?

jan.