[BioRuby] Making Contributions

Angel Pizarro angel at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 8 16:26:11 UTC 2007

Looks like it is sold out, so no ;)

I made a small bioinf web application, you can take a look at the unfinished
(but close!) product here

http://wasabi.itmat.upenn.edu/zebrafish

The schema behind the app is a stripped down biosql that has been railed (
e.g. plural names)

The originating schema was populated using bioperl and the SQL scripts to
ETL into the rails schema and augment with data types missing from biosql.

Keyword searching is basic MySQL on the full text records and some
additional annotations (GO, Ingenuity, etc)

Source code will be avail upon request or publication. Whichever comes
first!

Other Ruby RoR projects I amworking on:

- pure ruby mzXML/mzData reader (finished, but slow 221 seconds to read
peaks from mzXML file)
- fast (e.g. C ext wrapper on RAMP) read libs for mzXML/mzData  format
(working but unpolished, adds minimal overhead to straight RAMP access (21
seconds vs. 31 seconds for equiv readmzXML performance test)
- MS1 signal processing and quantification (based on C++ code from OpenMS
group)

If anyone is is interested in these drop a line.

-angel

On 3/8/07, Sohel Merchant <s-merchant at northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>   It is very exciting to see a number of people using Ruby/Rails in the
> Bioinformatics community. Although, I have been primarily developing in
> Perl, I have started and am working on some new projects in Rails. I was
> wondering if any of you guys are planning to attend the Rails conference
> coming up in May 2007, we could have a BOF session.
>
> Cheers,
> Sohel Merchant.
> dictyBase

Angel Pizarro
Director, Bioinformatics Facility
Institute for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics
University of Pennsylvania
806 BRB II/III
421 Curie Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6160