[BioRuby] Bio-projects comparison

Moses M. Hohman mmhohman at northwestern.edu
Sun Jul 23 14:47:08 UTC 2006

Hi Pjotr,

That sounds like a good plan. Along these lines . . . I had an idea
the other day, and I'm not sure how exactly it would work, but I
thought I'd throw it out there. One thing that bothers me about the
open bio software libraries is that they are all or nothing. That is,
you can download and install all of the pieces of bioperl or bioruby,
or install none of them.

If I just needed sequence manipulation, I would still have to install
the parts of bioruby that handle graphs, parsing pubmed entries, etc.
This becomes problematic mostly because I might want some parts of a
given open bio project and not others. I might want the sequence
manipulation stuff, but might want to be able to have a choice among
various restriction site computation libraries (as a random example).
Even more tricky, I might be happy with the bioruby restriction site
library but want different sequence manipulation functionality.
However, for all of the open bio projects, it seems like whatever
happens to be the first acceptable solution to a problem remains part
of the software forever.

It would be much nicer if I could just install the sequence
manipulation bioruby gem, and then install my restriction site gem of
choice, or vice versa. And because rubygems can declare their
dependencies, all I would have to know is that I wanted to install a
particular restriction site library, and the basic sequence
manipulation stuff it depended on would be autoinstalled. The
opposite direction would be more complicated, but I'm pretty sure we
could figure this out, and I think Ruby offers us particular power
and flexibility for doing this over other dynamic languages. I think
this kind of approach could eventually make bioruby a much more
useful tool.

I don't know, what do folks think? Worth it/not worth it? Too complex?

Moses