[BioRuby] Problems with Bl2seq parser

Trevor Wennblom trevor at corevx.com
Thu Sep 8 18:10:54 EDT 2005

Hi, I seem to be running into some problems with the new Bl2seq parser.

Ideally I'd like to be able to read the report the same way as blast
reports:
 Bio::Blast::Bl2seq::Report.xmlparser(filename_bl2seq_output).each do |hit|
   a = hit.identity
 end

xmlparser is undefined however, so we can try this:
 Bio::Blast::Bl2seq::Report.new(filename_bl2seq_output).each do |hit|
   a = hit.identity
 end

This doesn't give an error, but it wont read the report either.  This
can be double checked with:
Bio::Blast::Bl2seq::Report.new(filename_bl2seq_output).to_yaml

What I have to do is the following:
 Bio::FlatFile.open(Bio::Blast::Bl2seq::Report, filename_bl2seq_output)
do |ff|
   ff.each do |rep|
     rep.iterations.each do |itr|
       itr.hits.each do |hit|
         a = hit.identity
       end
     end
   end
 end

That's an awful lot of work for what should be a one-liner.  Am I doing
something wrong here?

Thanks,
Trevor