[Biopython] Bioinformatics master's degree final project

Ferran Fàbregas ferri.fc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 05:39:40 EST 2022

Hi! My name is Ferran Fàbregas and I'm working on my bioinformatics
master’s degree final project. I’m a computer scientist and a Python
veteran but a BioPython newbie.

I am writing this email because I would like to dedicate the final project
of my master's degree in bioinformatics to the development of a library to
implement gene annotation, pathway enrichment and access to gene ontologies
from Python, similar to how it can be done in R using functions like
enrichPathway from ReactomePA or enrichGo from ClusterProfiler.

Have any tools been previously developed to do this using BioPython? Are
there any packages similar to Bioconductor's OrgDb, ReactomePA , GOSeq or
ClusterProfiler?

I’m also working on a BioPython GUI based on PySide6. I've seen some old
projects related to BioPython GUI development but seem to be discontinued.

I would be very happy to use my time to contribute to the bioPython
project, and I’m open to any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Ferran Fàbregas