[Biopython] How many of you are on Slack?

Stéphane Téletchéa stephane.teletchea at univ-nantes.fr
Wed Jun 30 17:38:59 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I understand the arguments of all others,

Le 28/06/2021 à 17:00, João Rodrigues a écrit :
> An email is "passive": you subscribe and that's it, gets delivered to
> your inbox. It's also the lowest common denominator in terms of tech
> in the sense that everyone has/uses email.

But yes, I'm probably more traditional, email is asynchronous and I like
that.

Personally I really HATE slack, too disperse for my brain, I've worked
with it for one year and this was awful and very time consuming,
I'm also using regularly Mattermost and I also dislike it a lot.
Students say it is wonderful, but this was really because we were confined
that I had accepted to work like this (taking too much time to be
productive).

Considering google groups, I also HATE it as google mail etc. I'm also
concerned about the
"we cut without delay this service as we don't want to run it anymore"
policy of Google that happened already on many of their past services.

This is probably only me but I have a very well organised mail box with
many synchronised mails (sometimes on one computer, sometimes on another
one),
and that fits my needs.

If you close the mailing list, then I'd follow, but the existing
situation is ok to me.

Considering the overhead of running different systems, I completely
understand the need to leverage it,
but I'm not sure there are reliable long-term solutions really available.

My 0.02 cents/pennies.

Best,

Stéphane

--
Assistant Professor, UFIP, UMR 6286 CNRS, Team Protein Design In Silico
UFR Sciences et Techniques, 2, rue de la Houssinière, Bât. 25, 44322 Nantes cedex 03, France