[Biopython] How many of you are on Slack?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 2 04:02:21 EDT 2021

Here's an updated invitation link to the OBF slack where there is a
#Biopython channel:

https://join.slack.com/t/open-bio/shared_invite/zt-u2qx45j4-RMp2Q7ZGt1inPWRNQlh1Qw

We've had a few more people join over the weekend via the BOSC 2021
CoFest, although
the actual discussion for that happened on the OBF BOSC slack (which
for reasons lost in
time is separate).

The slack channel worked quite well for that, although I was already
starting to loose track
of threads and splintered conversations. It would require some team
discipline to keep
larger decision making somewhere (a) open and public, and (b)
available and searchable
long term. For example, including a summary of the pros and cons
discussed on slack
before reaching a consensus on an issue or pull request on GitHub.

My having trouble keeping track of multiple conversations wasn't a
surprise to me given
how we use Slack where I work, but it does make the claimed improved
thread support
in Zulip more intriguing.

Peter