[Biopython] BioPython GSOC 2010

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:25:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 at 14:08:21 -0300, Carlos Rios "V." <crosvera at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I'm very interesting in this idea:
>
> http://biopython.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code#PDB-Tidy:_command-line_tools_for_manipulating_PDB_files
>
> I have some experience with the Bio.PDB Module, and I think that would
> be a very useful tool for labs.
>
> Brad Chapman wrote an e-mail that said that we have to demonstrate our
> knowledge of the project and open source coding capabilities, where I
> have to show you that?

Well, OBF has been accepted as a mentoring organization now:
http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2010

So I'd recommend getting yourself set up on GitHub -- other mentoring
organizations use git too, and it helps your application to show that you're
already familiar with the build tools.

Carlos, I see that you have plenty of code that you're willing to share,
currently distributed as tarballs from your blog. You could start by
publishing some selected projects on GitHub and playing around with it a
little there, as well as making your own fork of Biopython.

For bonus points, once you have your own Biopython development branch, see
if you can write a patch for any of the open issues on Bugzilla:
http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/buglist.cgi?product=Biopython&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

This would all look great on your GSoC application.

Thanks for your interest, and best of luck!

-Eric