[Biopython] Fasta.index_file: functionality removed?

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 01:13:35 UTC 2009

Fasta.index_file was indeed removed; at least in Biopython version 1.44, this function was marked as deprecated. The reason for removal has more to do with code organization than with the functionality itself: Bio.Fasta itself is obsolete (Bio.SeqIO now provides most of the functionality previously in Bio.Fasta), the code relied on other Biopython modules that are obsolete, and if I remember correctly there were some non-trivial bugs in the indexing functions in Biopython. Since no users stepped forward at that time that were interested in this functionality, it was removed from Biopython.

For the short term, the easiest solution for you is probably to pick up Bio.Fasta from an older version of Biopython. For the long term, it's probably best to integrate the indexing functionality in some way in Bio.SeqIO. Do you have some suggestions on how (from a user's perspective) this functionality should look like?

--Michiel.