[BioPython] numeric vs numarray

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Jan 10 21:04:01 EST 2005

Ivan Rossi wrote:
> Any other evidence in favor or against numarray from people in the list?

Few (if any) packages in Biopython critically depend on the speed of
numeric/numarray. For example, Bio.Cluster uses numeric but all
calculations are done internally in C (without using numeric's
functions), so I doubt that the speed of numeric / numarray will make a
difference. To minimize the hassle for users, I suggest that we stick to
numeric until other major packages have gone over, so users won't have
to install both numeric and numarray.

--Michiel.