[BioPython] neutral models and biopython

Johannes Hüsing johannes.huesing@uni-essen.de
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:14:09 +0100

On Tue 2003-01-14 (03:49), Mic Forster wrote:
> Neutral, stochastic models are not that
> prevalent in landscape/community ecology. In fact, I
> can only find about a half dozen papers dealing with
> the subject.

Erm, after googling for "neutral models" I found only
entries in the context of landscape ecology. Skimming the
sources I think they are about rather complicated processes
where the "neutrality" means making no directional assumption
about the behaviour of individuals.

Sounds to me you want to simulate a lot with a system whose
infrastructure is easily adjustable.

> Does anyone know of any projects that are using
> Biopython to study neutral models?

Don't know about Python but there are specific packages on
Monte Carlo simulation which you might want to try out,
http://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/bugs/ being a notable example
in my field (medical statistics).

Greetings

Johannes