[BioPython] biopython 1.21 problem with Martel

Francisco Domingues doming at mpi-sb.mpg.de
Thu Aug 28 10:45:33 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am running SuSe Linux 8.1, I have python 2.2.1
I have installed Numerical Python and mxTextTools.

I am trying to install biopython 1.21, this is a first installation of
biopython in my machine.

after:
 >python setup.py install

I get
*** Martel *** is either not installed or out of date.

This package is required for many Biopython features.  Please install
it before you install Biopython.
You can find Martel at http://www.biopython.org/~dalke/Martel/.

According to Jeff instructions in this mailing list I went down to the
Martel
directory and did
 >python setup.py install
no errors

Still it fails the tests:
...biopython-1.21/Martel> python setup.py installtest
running installtest
###### running tests in test_Expression ###############
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 158, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/distutils/core.py", line 138, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/distutils/dist.py", line 893, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/distutils/dist.py", line 913, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "setup.py", line 139, in run
  File "run_tests.py", line 16, in main
    module = __import__(name)
  File "test_Expression.py", line 3, in ?
    from Martel import Re
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Martel/__init__.py", line 6, in ?
    import Expression
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Martel/Expression.py", line 31,
in ?
    from xml.sax import xmlreader
ImportError: No module named xml.sax

Same if I do
 >python setup.py test

 I also did installation of all biopython by forcing to continue after
the Martel
error:
*** Martel *** is either not installed or out of date.
Do you want to continue this installation? (y/N) y

It installs but running the test it gives severall errors, seem to be
associated with xml.sax:
 > python setup.py test
running test
Warning: Could not import SAX for dealing with XML.
This causes problems with some ParserSupport modules
Skipping test because of import error: Please comment out this line to
enable
the tests.
Skipping test because of import error: No module named MySQLdb
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named MySQLdb
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named reportlab.pdfgen
Skipping test because of import error: No module named reportlab.pdfgen
Skipping test because of import error: No module named reportlab.pdfgen
Skipping test because of import error: No module named _KDTreec
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: cannot import name Alignment
Skipping test because of import error: cannot import name SeqRecord
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax
Skipping test because of import error: No module named xml.sax

I repeated the procedure severall times, but it still gives the same errors.
Any Suggestions?

Tanks
Francisco