[BioPython] PDBParser & Structure class

Andrew Dalke Andrew Dalke" <dalke@dalkescientific.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 02:23:32 -0600

Thomas Hamelryck:
>Is a GNU lesser public license acceptable for Biopython?

Not for me.  I long time ago decided that because I also develop
proprietary systems I can't look at GPL/LGPL source code in my
field because otherwise I may accidentally introduce ideas from
that code into non-GPL'ed systems.  (I believe the legal term is
that I would be "tainted".)

This means that if the PDB code is added to Biopython under LGPL,
and I needed PDB code, then I would have to write my own.  And
that contradicts one of my goals in helping start Biopython.

Luckily, I also got to pick the Biopython license, as a slightly
modified version of the old (1.x) Python license.  Which was a
modified version of the MIT X11 license.  Which is a modified
version of the BSD license.  Which means it can be included in
any nearly any project, whether it be proprietary, open, free, etc.

Similarly, I don't work on proprietary systems which might
interfere with software I want to release as part of Biopython or
other such projects.

                    Andrew
                    dalke@dalkescientific.com