[BioPython] Re: UnitTests

Cayte katel@worldpath.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:08:37 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey Chang <jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU>
To: Cayte <katel@worldpath.net>
Cc: <biopython@biopython.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [BioPython] Re: UnitTests

> Hi Cayte and Andrew,
>
> Thanks for sharing this discussion!  We should definitely hash out the
> existing issues and come to some agreement on which code base to start
> building upon.
>
> The thing to keep in mind, though, is that in addition to having a robust
> framework, it will need to be well-documented and easy to use.  In order
> to be successful, tests will have to be written.  Unfortunately, it's
> usually low on people's priority lists (I'm guilty, too!), so there's
> going to have to be some simple API, or people will not take the time to
> learn how.

   In my opinion, the consensus should be more in the spirit of an
officially  preferred method  than an edict.  We'll need all the testing we
can get, however it's done.  This is especially the case with biopython for
several reasons.

      New software options are on the way, like the Software Carpentry
effort.

      Only three people are involved in the discussion so far.  Three is a
small sample.

     Our primary objective is tools for the biotech community.  Tools for
software engineering are secondary.  With everyone having limited time, it
may be more effective to find bugs with something that clunks along than
spend too much time on the tools.  I'm not saying we shouldn't do both, but
lets remember our primary mission.

                                                             Cayte