[Biopython-dev] Proposition for Biopython 2

Shyam Saladi saladi at caltech.edu
Tue Nov 21 20:36:57 UTC 2017

Hi Patrick,

This looks pretty cool. I wonder two things:

1. Do you happen to have timing benchmarks comparing similar functions in
Biotite and Biopython? I'm curious about what functionality is actually
faster/sped up by numpy/cython code.

2. From a cursory look through the source and from reading your docs,
biotite seems like a significantly different module compared to the current
version of BioPython. If this sort of organization was used for a Biopython
2, it seems like it would be very difficult to port already-written,
currently developed code to the new system. That said, for those parts that
are faster, as a user, I think it might be useful to merge them into
Biopython if it's possible to do so in an API-compatible way. I wonder what
others think about this...

Thanks,
Shyam