[Biopython-dev] CI for Windows

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 25 17:04:59 UTC 2017

Hello all,

By copying the NumPy AppVeyor setup, I was able to get a useful
Windows test run on my first attempt for Biopython (running via my
personal fork, not the official GitHub repository):

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/appveyor.yml

https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/blob/appveyor/.appveyor.yml

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/peterjc/biopython/build/0.0.1

Interestingly even though initially run with a minimal set of
dependencies this has shown up some errors under Python 3 - despite
not being reported as a failure (which I've since solved by calling
run_tests.py directly), logged here:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/1257

I went a little further and enabled the BioSQL tests and several other
Python dependencies:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/peterjc/biopython/build/0.0.5

This still has a lot of scope for improvement.

Right now the tests seem not to be using the compiled bits of
Biopython (e.g. test_KDTree.py, likely a path issue, or down to using
pip over setup.py directly for the install).

It might make sense to share the same Tox setup we use for the Linux
TravisCI checks covering a range of Python versions and optional
dependencies.

Also, there is the possibility of using AppVeyor to build the Windows
installers and wheels for each release...

Peter