[Biopython-dev] Deprecating Bio.PDB.PSEA

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 27 08:50:15 UTC 2017

This came up in discussion on this pull request:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/1336

Quoting the tool's README file,

"P-SEA is small tool for secondary structure assignment
from Ca cartesian coordinates of proteins. It reads
PDB-formatted file and return a file containing : the
sequence read in one-letter code and the secondary
structure assigned (a=helix, b=strand, c=coil)."

It does compile fine on macOS Sierra, and the readme
talks about other Unix platforms (HP-UX and IRIX),
but it does not compile as is on Linux.

In either case you get warnings about using the "gets"
function which is not secure.

I favour deprecating Bio.PDB.PSEA

Peter