[Biopython-dev] Planning to drop Python 2 support by 2020?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 7 15:26:49 UTC 2017

Hello all,

I raised the idea of planning to drop Python 2 support by 2020
here on the developers list last year with no reply, and on tTwitter
where there were some positive replies.

Biopython 1.69 is now out, and with it we have formally dropped
support for Python 2.6, but we still support Python 2.7 for now.

If no one objects, then next week I will write to the main mailing
list, and our announcement list, stating this is our intension.

Then if there are no reasoned objections, we can add this to
the website and README.rst etc, and ask to be added to
http://www.python3statement.org/

Thanks,

Peter