[Biopython-dev] Presenter for Biopython Project Update talk at BOSC 2016?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:28:20 UTC 2016

Hello all,

First of all, speaking as BOSC co-chair, a reminder that the main
BOSC 2016 abstract call deadline is already imminent (this Friday,
1st April):

https://news.open-bio.org/2016/03/01/bosc-2016-call-for-abstracts/

Second, speaking as a Biopython developer, we need a volunteer:

** Who is thinking of going to BOSC/ISMB, and is willing to give
the Biopython Project Update 2016 talk? **

While all our long standing contributors are welcome to volunteer,
we've regularly welcomed our more recent contributors to give
the talk (see recent presenters list below).

The project update talks at BOSC are usually given a short talk
slot, but serve an important way to maintain project visibility and
highlight ongoing activity. Those of us not presenting will still be
happy to help put together slides etc and help with the abstract.

For any younger Biopython contributors considering this (e.g. PhD
students), presenting at an international conference is also a good
thing to have on your CV - as are contributions to widely used open
source software if you plan to work in bioinformatics.

For students in particular, presenting a talk is also often a requirement
for many sources of travel money - this might help you to attend
BOSC and the main ISMB meeting during your PhD which could
be a great opportunity.

On a related point, and now speaking as a member of the Open
Bioinformatics Foundation board, this year the OBF has launched
a Travel Fellowship which could be used to help attend BOSC. I
would expect applying for this grant in to attend BOSC, including
participating in the CodeFest, and then presenting the Biopython
talk, to be viewed favourably. Note I would have to abstain from
the decision process due to the conflict of interest.

https://news.open-bio.org/2016/03/01/obf-travel-fellowship-program/

If anyone is considering volunteering to present the Biopython Update
at BOSC 2016 and would prefer to email me privately off list, please
feel free to. I expect Brad (Biopython co-founder) and the other past
speakers would also be happy to answer any private queries by email.

Thank you,

Relevant affiliations/roles in the context of this email:

Dr. Peter Cock,
Bioinformatician at The James Hutton Institute;
Open Bioinformatics Foundation, board of directors, secretary;
Co-chair for BOSC 2016;
Biopython developer.

--

Here is the recent run of speakers giving the Biopython updates
at BOSC:

Biopython Project Update 2015 - João Rodrigues
http://f1000research.com/slides/4-279
http://youtu.be/s5HDZHTxxIg

Biopython Project Update 2014 - Wibowo Arindrarto
http://www.open-bio.org/bosc2014/BOSC2014-Updates-04-Biopython-Arindrarto.pdf
http://youtu.be/bJ5OcCYq-G4

Biopython project update 2013 - Peter Cock
http://www.slideshare.net/pjacock/biopython-update-bosc2013/

Biopython Project Update 2012 - Eric Talevich
http://www.slideshare.net/jandot/e-talevich-biopython-projectupdate

Biopython Project Update 2011 - Peter Cock
http://www.slideshare.net/bosc2011/talk6-biopython-bosc2011

Biopython Project Update 2010 - Brad Chapman
http://www.slideshare.net/bosc2010/chapman-bosc2010-biopython

Biopython Project Update 2009 - Peter Cock
http://www.slideshare.net/bosc/cock-biopython-bosc2009

Biopython Project Update 2008 - Tiago Antão
http://www.slideshare.net/bosc_2008/antao-biopython-bosc2008/

Biopython Project Update 2007 - Peter Cock
http://www.slideshare.net/bosc/biopython

Peter