[Biopython-dev] Retiring our old RedMine bug tracker

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:59:29 UTC 2016

Hello Biopythoneers,

After we moved our code repository to GitHub, we started using
their issue track which integrates with pull requests etc:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues

Prior to that we were using an OBF hosted RedMine instance
(itself migrated from an even older Bugzilla server):

https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biopython

Once you click though any annoying certificate warning, you'll
see there are still about 90 open issues and 20 feature requests.

The OBF would like to shut down the RedMine server since no
one is actively using it any more, and it is costing us money
in AWS fees.

Several years ago we talked about manually triaging these, i.e.
refiling and cross referencing any relevant issues on GitHub,
and closing irrelevant issues:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2013-August/019939.html

Do we have any volunteers to help with this?

In the absence of any volunteers to review the old RedMine
issues, Plan B is to follow BioPerl's lead and do an automated
migration to a dedicated GitHub repository just for the old
issues:

https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live-redmine

Who can help out?

Thank you,

Peter

(Speaking here primarily as a Biopython developer, but I am
also secretary for the Open Bioinformatics Foundation board)