[Biopython-dev] Experimenting with migrating wiki to GitHub pages

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:07:43 UTC 2016

Hello all,

It might be time to retitle this thread: The experiment is going live!
At this point although still unfinished, it is much better than no website
(much the same thinking as with BioPerl and BioJava which made
the switch at the end of last week).

I appreciate this was a unilateral decision, and I hope no one objects.
(Insert joke about benevolent dictators here?)

I've added the magic CNAME file and asked Hilmar via our root-l
SysAdmin mailing list to make the DNS changes, so shortly using
biopython.org should take you to the GitHub Pages site.

Main announcement email here:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2016-April/015919.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2016-April/021333.html

Note that I split off the https://biopython.org/DIST/ content into a
separate repository which uses just a gh-pages branch as a
GitHub "Project" Page: https://github.com/biopython/DIST

I have attempted to populate this with all the original files with their
approximate date and authorship where appropriate. Note that for
things like the API documentation files and Tutorial, I just took the
latest version.

This has advantages in terms of repository size, and perhaps also
access control. It looks like it will work OK for hosting the Windows
installers etc, more on that in a follow up email.

Note that switching the website to GitHub pages need not be
permanent, but the OBF had been looking at reducing the
SysAdmin needs of our servers for some time, and at this point
the GitHub Pages route looks very practical.

Thanks,