[Biopython-dev] User-defined annotations in Stockholm alignment file

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 08:52:31 UTC 2016

I would absolutely pick the Stockholm format at used in PFAM for that.
It has annotation per alignment (top level), per column, per sequence, etc.

However, the parser currently ignores per-column annotation:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/357
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/516

For your use case of top-level annotations I think we just need to finish:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/768
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/769

More eyes on this would help,

Peter