[Biopython-dev] Should we recommend "pip install biopython"?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:17:01 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried running pip, and I got "pip: command not found".
> -Michiel

It will be some time before we drop Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 but
this is not a problem on the latest versions of Python: pip is
included by default with Python 3.4 onwards:

https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.4.html#whatsnew-pep-453

Actually installing pip on older Pythons is a pain, so I'd like any
wording to make it clear pip may not be installed, in which case
the traditional "python setup.py ..." route is the best bet.