[Biopython-dev] SciPy 2015

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:12:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Tiago Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It is a pleasure to report that the abstract for the SciPy conference
> was accepted.
>
> As you probably know both Joao and me will be presenting Biopython (Joao
> on BOSC and me on SciPy). The scope of the presentation will be
> slightly different: I think Joao will concentrate on updates, whereas
> my presentation will be more general.
>
> I would like to spend some time on putting forward a snappy
> presentation that could be re-used (even if only partially) by others in
> the future.
>
> I am trying to think on what technology to use. I want to avoid
> powerpoint, beamer and friends. Also most web presentation frameworks
> are actually quite powerpoint-like.
>
> I am trying to find something that is free-software, can easily use
> animations and insightful presenting features. Should work on the web
> and on live-presentations. I am ignoring dead-tree printing.
>
> I am considering quite some wacky things like blender or animation
> packages. Trying to be a bit out-of-the-box in terms of form...
>
> If someone has any ideas...
>
> Tiago

Hi Tiago,

Hopefully I'm not too late here. I recall Bow once gave a nice talk that
was based on Reveal.js or similar:
http://lab.hakim.se/reveal-js/#/17

It is PowerPoint-like, but since it is based on JS and HTML, you could in
principle add your own JavaScript-driven animations after drafting it using
the original framework and generating the basic presentation.
A little heretical at a Python conference, but you could supplement
Biopython's own plots with BioJS widgets:
http://biojs.io/

Prezi is non-Free, but it is free-as-in-beer for academics and is
definitely different from PowerPoint. Useful as a point of inspiration, at
least.

Have you considered or investigated doing the whole presentation as an
IPython/Jupyter notebook? This would probably be the most direct way to
show off Biopython's features, including plots. I think it would be
possible to launch PyMol from the shell, too.

-Eric