[Biopython-dev] Reproducible Biopython VM images

Christian Brueffer christian at brueffer.de
Tue Mar 17 12:54:29 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

as far as I understand efforts like BioBoxes, they are geared towards
shipping released versions of tools.  Vagrant-based VMs are primarily
meant for developer use, as they enable quick throw-away VM use.

That's also the reason having support for his in the main repository
would be most beneficial; it allows one to check out the repository, run
one command and have a fresh VM with a complete set of tests and the
dependencies to run them.  This sets the bar for contributions very low.

Having something things in a separate repository would also work,
probably best with instructions like this:

cd biopython
wget url-to-Vagrantfile
wget url-to-bootstrap-file
vagrant up

Tiago, I'd be very interested to hear about your work in this area :-)

Chris