[Biopython-dev] Tutorial problems

Tiago Rodrigues Antao tra at popgen.net
Sat Dec 5 02:54:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am converting the tutorial to jupyter notebooks and I have found a
few problems. I am too tired to put here an exhaustive list, but they
are of the following types:

1. Data download: data moved places or has a different content (seqio)
2. Visualization: Mostly affecting Bio.Phylo. With Python 3 I have to
monkey patch networkx, also networkx is suggesting that they might
discontinue in the future drawing functions
https://networkx.github.io/documentation/latest/reference/drawing.html

GenomeDiagram is also affected, but because of data download issues (I
do not think they are visualization/librariy problems)

I think we need to test data download on the tutorial from time to
time, and see if the results are still OK.

Tiago