[Biopython-dev] Time for Biopython 1.65?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:28:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11/18/14, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>  Things worth wider discussion (and maybe a beta release):
>>
>>  * String-like equality for Seq objects
>>    https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/359
>
> This should definitely go in, as we have been discussing this for years.

Good. Done,
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/fa9b64a522d61985c2dbeeac010654164669202b

> We should also move forward with Seq inheriting from a string object.
>
> -Michiel

Let's see how much outcry/breakage the equality change causes first ;)

Once that is settled we have a much clearer path toward subclassing
str (although there remain issues like what to do with MutableSeq
and alphabets not using single letter codes).