[Biopython-dev] Ipython notebook biopython tutorials

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Thu Mar 20 14:48:15 UTC 2014

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 14:19:51 +0000
Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> +1 for any *.ipynb files being under source code control.
>
> There are perhaps advantages to using a separate repository,
> but still under Biopython on GitHub? This might also help if we
> wanted to build on existing external tutorials which are under
> a CC licence etc...

My original plan was to draw "heavy inspiration" (credited, of course)
from the existing Tutorial and maybe your workshop work.

This all started when I noticed the need to change the tutorial due to
simcoal changes... As I had to re-visit this, the idea followed...

If people are fine with something under the biopython organization, I
am fine with that.

I have two proposals, though:

1. Base it on recent infrastructure (python 3.4 or maybe 3.3, and above
all ipython 2.0)

2. Go on and "do stuff", see where it goes and then maybe re-organize
in the future (as opposed to do lots of planning first). This is, in
some sense, a new line of direction and I would suggest that being
exploratory would be better than being cautious...

Tiago