[Biopython-dev] Installing all biopython dependencies

Tiago Antao tra at popgen.net
Mon Mar 10 17:02:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to create a easy-to-install, easy-to-replicate Virtual
Machine(*) with all the requirements for Biopython. The idea is mainly
to make it easy to have reliable testing, but it can also be used as a
very fast installation of Biopython.

The VM is currently based on Ubuntu saucy, and I am trying to make sure
all the dependencies are met.

I would like some advice on the following please:

EmbossPhylipNew - the ubuntu package (embassy-phylip) has dependency
problems, so I guess this requires a manual download/install?
reportlab - What is the best way to get the fonts?
XXmotif - What is this???
PAML - There seemed to be a ubuntu package, but no more?

The following packages require manual installation (no ubuntu package),
please correct me if I am wrong (makes my life easier)...

DSSP
Dialign
msaprobs
NACCESS
Prank
Probcons
TCoffee

(*) Actually I am building a docker container, but for ease of
explanation it is similar to the more familiar Virtual Machine concept

Thanks,
Tiago