[Biopython-dev] Biopython update talk at BOSC 2014

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:22:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter, everyone,
>
>>> We have had several updates since I last submitted the draft for our
>>> update in BOSC several weeks ago. Tiago and others has released
>>> version 1.64 (thank you :) ) and Evan is now officially on board with
>>> us for Google Summer of Code. These were some of the points that
>>> needed to be updated before we send our abstract for the final
>>> submission.
>>>
>>> I just updated the abstract on these revision points. And to make it
>>> easier for everyone to edit the raw TeX file, I decided to put it up
>>> in GitHub here:
>>> https://github.com/bow/talks/tree/master/2014/biopython.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> We also talked about the authorship, and I think the general feeling
>> was to put "Wibowo Arindrarto, ..., and the Biopython contributors",
>> or was it just "Wibowo Arindrarto and the Biopython contributors"?
>
> I'm leaning more towards "{ the current list of authors }, and the
> Biopython contributors". Is this ok?

If you want - although it brings up the messy questions about who
is included and why. In this case, contributing to writing the talk,
but also arguably the major additions in the last year.

>> As an aside, to help Google Scholar tell this apart from past Biopython
>> update talks, I suggest we put 2014 in the title.
>
> Hmm..something like "The 2014 Bioptyhon Project Update"?

Yes, fixing spelling, or "Biopython Project Update 2014"?

>>> (Do we have a place for this in the Biopython repo perhaps, though?
>>> I'm not sure if the main file should be in my account, so feel free to
>>> suggest other repos / places to host).
>>>
>>> Anyway, please don't hesitate to fork / submit PRs for any kinds of
>>> revisions / suggestions. I will submit the final version Thursday next
>>> week.
>>
>> I was thinking of suggesting a new repository for this and the past
>> talk abstracts (and even slides), e.g.
>>
>> https://github.com/biopython/bosc_talks
>>
>> Peter
>
> Not just for bosc_talks but just talks (e.g.
> https://github.com/biopython/talks) in general perhaps? Then there is
> also space for other more general biopython-related talks too (e.g.
> tutorials)?

I like the idea of https://github.com/biopython/talks as a shared
repository for Biopython presentations from the team - things
like BOSC talks, or other events like the SciPy or EuroSciPy
conferences.