[Biopython-dev] List of Biopython dependencies

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 8 21:55:13 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014, Eric Talevich wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It appears that there are two lists of Biopython dependencies on the wiki:
> http://biopython.org/wiki/List_of_applications_executed_via_Biopython
> http://biopython.org/wiki/Download#Required_Software
>
> There is potential for confusion here. Shall we merge these lists on the
> Download page?

Tiago started the list of applications page while updating the
buildbots - it is as noted a work in progress. Maybe it should
be just command line applications, which can then be linked
to from the downloads page?

> We could follow Debian's approach of splitting the list into Depends
> (strict requirements, e.g. Python), Recommended (non-essential but
> important, e.g. numpy and reportlab), and Suggested (everything else).

That split makes sense for libraries, but is it also sensible
for command line applications Biopython can call?

Regards,